As the new school year begins, student safety is front of mind. Make sure your children know these safe behaviors as they get ready to ride the school bus this year.
1. Be at your bus stop at least 5 minutes before your pick up time. Never run in front of, next to, or behind the bus.
2. Wait in line for the school bus. Don’t play in the street. Don’t push or shove.
3. Wait for the bus to stop completely and the door has opened before you approach the bus. Always stay away from the wheels. Get on the bus in a single file line and hold onto the handrail.
4. Find your seat quickly. While riding the bus, face forward and keep the aisles clear. Talk quietly.
5. Always listen to your bus driver.
6. Never put your head or hands out the window.
7. Know where the emergency exits are, but do not play with them.
8. Wait for the bus to stop completely before leaving your seat. Then, get off the bus in a single file line. Use the handrail when you get off the bus. Be careful that your backpack or jacket don’t get caught on the handrail or bus door.
9. When getting off, take five (5) giant steps away from the bus. Make sure that you can see the bus driver and the driver can see you. If you can’t see their eyes, then they can’t see you.
10. NEVER run back to get a forgotten item on the bus or pick up something dropped under the bus. NEVER bend down near or under the bus.
11. If you have to cross in front of the bus, always cross at least 10 feet (5 giant steps) and make sure that the driver can see you. Wait for the driver’s signal to cross. Look both ways, then cross the street carefully. Do not run.